INGREDIENTS FOR LAYERS 1 & 3 (these quantities for each layer)
16 Rich Tea finger biscuits (80g) – Marks & Spencer are vegan in the UK, or else use other vegan alternative
Liquid Ingredients :
1½ tsp instant coffee
3½ fl oz (100 mL) boiling water
2 Tbsp (30 mL) cognac (I used Hennessy which is vegan)
Make this into a coffee, as if you were going to drink it, and set aside.
Pour the liquid into a wide bowl, soak each biscuit on both sides, and place on the base of the springform pan – you may need to use a spatula to do this. Be careful not to over-indulge it in the liquid – you may have some left, depending on the size of your pan. Do this carefully until you have completely covered the base, overlapping the biscuits so there are no gaps. Then even out the layer using the back of a teaspoon. Alternatively, for the first layer, you could place the biscuits in the springform pan first, then pour in the liquid – however, for the third layer, this won’t be possible, as the liquid would seep into the chocolate filling below.
INGREDIENTS FOR CHOCOLATE FILLING (LAYER 2)
1 350g pack silken tofu, drained and dried (Mori-Nu is organic and GMO free – purchase here in the US or UK)
125g vegan dark chocolate, melted (these links are vegan : US, UK)
2 Tbsp cognac
1½ Tbsp agave or maple syrup (agave can be sourced here : UK & US)
- Place the tofu and the remaining ingredients in a food processor, and process until very thick and creamy. Then spoon this on to the coffee biscuit base – don’t apply pressure as it’s all very delicate – and again even out with the back of a teaspoon.
- Place in the freezer for a half hour before attempting the 3rd layer. Layer 3 is identical to the 1st layer, so repeat it here and gently flatten with a back of a teaspoon.
‘MASCARPONE CHEESE’ VANILLA (LAYER 4)
200g (7 oz) raw cashew nuts, pre-soaked – or if using a high speed blender just rinse before processing
1 tsp nutritional yeast (available here in the US or UK)
2 tsp vanilla extract (can be found at this US or UK link)
2 Tbsp maple syrup or agave (agave can be sourced here : UK & US)
½ cup (125 mL) cold water
1½ tsp agar powder (NOT the flakes) mix well with ½ cup boiling water (available here in the US or UK)
- Place the mascarpone ingredients (not the thickener ingredients yet) in a high speed food processor (Vitamix is the ultimate kitchen investment I made – available from these links in the US or UK), and process until totally smooth – this may take some minutes, so be patient. You will probably have to scrape down the edges of the processor jug with a plastic spatula half way through, and process again.
- Add the thickener to this mixture, and process for a further minute.
- The mixture should be ready for pouring, but first bring out the base ingredients from your fridge.
- Now carefully spoon the cashew cream mixture from your blender on to the 3rd biscuit layer, and once again even out with the back of a spoon.
- Place in the freezer for 1 hour, then in the fridge overnight.
- Dust with cocoa powder before serving, and . . . . Indulge !